Sunday, September 4, 2011

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

Ok - let me just start by giving you a heads up on my "blogging state of mind"!
I've been doing this blog for 2hours (gasp!!!) and all I have are my pictures on this compose page!  I'm exhausted, frustrated and a little wiggly.....(now 4 hours and 5 minutes!).
On the excited "I can't contain myself" side.....I'm finally posting my blocks and THEN getting them onto the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along on Flickr!  This group started back in June by two friends, Amanda and Angela.  If you want to join this QAL, buy this book, "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt" by Laurie Aaron Hird.

Blocks #2 and #4

There are 111 block patterns...the goal is to make two blocks a week!  So far, I'm a gazillion weeks behind...(14ish weeks behind).....although "secretly" I have 24 blocks finished...I just have a dickens of a time posting them!!!  
I also have 3ish that I need to do over for a multitude of personal reasons!!!

#2 Autumn's Tint

I would not have attempted ANY of this without Lori at Bee In My Bonnet's blog!


Lori has been inspirational with all her tutorials and beautiful, fun blocks!
So my thought process of joining was to challenge myself to learn how to piece!
I also really like the "idea" of 111 different blocks so that I don't get bored...and I learn more!
So far I have learnt that Lori is an amazing teacher and seamstress....also mathematical genius...as she first teaches how to get grid paper and figure out dimensions of blocks!

#4 Basket Weave

I decided I really want to make a queen size quilt for our bed and I had a large collection of  "Fresh Cottons" fabric by Fig Tree & Co. so that would be my fabric!
I then ordered more "Fresh Cottons" on line and waited for its arrival....

Blocks 10 & 15
OK - there really is nothing more exciting then waiting for parcels to start a quilt...I continued ordering other fabrics on line......http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewdeerlyloved has a great selection of fabrics and I was really happy with the service!  Needless to say, I ordered from about 4 different sites and I now have a favorite!  Kerri also writes a blog called http://lovelylittlehandmades.blogspot.com and does the FWSQ - her blocks are adorable!

#10 Bowtie

I have also made a new "blog friend", Greta at http://becauseisewso.blogspot.com/.  Greta is also using "Fresh Cottons" fabric and doing a fantastic job with her blocks!!!

#15 Buzzard's Roost
Since starting I have learned that my wonderful "Lily" (Husqvarna Lily 545) only has a zig zag plate and not a straight plate....which of course is not available any longer.....
This is just fuel for my desire to befriend a Featherweight sewing companion!
I have one lined up to sew with and see if we are compatible in about 1 month!!!
If you have any important information on these machines that I should consider please comment!
Alright, maybe I should make some more blocks....I'll be back in about 5 weeks to show some more progress!



Here is a picture of my backyard at the cottage....the end of a beautiful day I missed while blogging!!!!

1 comment:

  1. There truly is a squirrel in your pocket! How wonderful! What an extraordinary quilter you are, and I have so enjoyed looking through the Henrietta Whiskers photostream. A penny rug inspiration if ever there was one.
    Thank you so very much for visiting my blog today and leaving a comment. It's very kind of you, and it means so much to me!
    Elizabeth, Creative Breathing

    ReplyDelete